Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More Tornadoes

Hey Family!

How was everyone's week? Mine was better than last week even though we had some frustrating things happen with Christine. Actually that was just yesterday. So we drove up to Dunlap to try to see Sister Bruck but she wasn't home because she went grocery shopping so we decided to go see Christine's dad, who is not a member, because he lives in Dunlap. Keep in mind we haven't heard from Christine in a while. We get there and lo and behold Christine's car is there. Awesome, we finally caught her. So anyways we knock on the door and Christine's dad answers the door and tells us she isn't there and she went on a walk maybe to the park with her kids and that she wouldn't be back till dark. So while we were talking you can see Christian in he background and he just was wandering by and then I heard some whispering and Christian turned around and ran back to where he came from. Christine's dad then said that Christine only took Aaliyah with her... I was so ticked off. Do they think I'm stupid? Oh you know me, being attentive to detail and everything, I also noticed that Christine's car had its window down. Drove by like 20 minutes later, it was up. So yeah at this point I don't really know what to do.
suppose there isn't really anything we can do. Just continue to do what's right and if they want to use their free agency that way then so be it. Anyways that was a joyous time. 

Oh and just some clarification about the storms. Blair was not demolished. It got a lot of hail damage but that's it. However... Pilger. That place got jacked up. It's in north/centralish Nebraska. So anyways there were what are dubbed as twin tornadoes. Both F4's right next to each other on the ground at the same time. Look up pictures of it. It is gnarly. Oh we were also shown the video of one of them tearing Pilger apart so I guess that pretty cool. Not really, but the tornado looked neat. So one of the tornadoes was just sitting there chilling in the middle of nowhere then all of the sudden it started moving and it moved across the highway into Pilger and then all of the sudden you start seeing debris flying everywhere and it completely destroyed that town killing 2. 

Just the other day (Friday I believe) we had a pretty gnarly storm roll in. There was a wall cloud with swirling clouds (right above us mind you) but none turned into tornadoes. But as far as damage goes the area I'm in as been pretty fortunate. Nothing really. Just that motel that got hit. 

Oh so I met someone pretty neat yesterday. A new investigator too. Her name is Gina Green and she is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith. She was raised methodist. I don't get that. Her sister was there as well and she has been given some RLDS Kool-Aid. "Brigham Young was already practicing polygamy so the Church instituted it to justify Brigham's actions"... "Joseph Smith
had nothing to do with polygamy" I'm sorry what? I obviously know she's wrong, and in the coming weeks I'll have to correct her haha. So needless to say I did a lot of studying on the subject last night. I read Church History books and what not. I love reading about the Church and about the stuff many people don't know. I'm getting the book "Rough Stone Rolling" when I get back. I heard it's really good and it throws everything out on the table. 

But yeah anyways we were talking about how she was a descendant and how it's not even a big deal here in Iowa and stuff like that but if you go to Utah you're a celebrity almost. She was invited to Joseph Smith's 125th birthday celebration in SLC and went and she said they were treated very very well. 

Anyways... Oh so Mom, let me clarify I will be coming home the 27th not the 29th. It will be on Saturday. And celebrating Christmas when I get home would be awesome. I knew you guys would accommodate haha. 

My training at DMeeting went well. It was about specifically "How can we tie the Atonement back to everything we teach and how does it make us more powerful teachers?" We did a little activity, where I wrote down every single thing we teach (all the bullet points in PMG) and passed around them in a bowl and we went around drawing the topics and we had to explain how that relates to the Atonement. I ended my training with the "Because of Him" video our Church made for Easter. I love that video. 

Transfers this week should be interesting. I'll find out Thursday. I'll let you guys know as soon as possible. 

Have a great week everyone! I hope Heather's wedding goes perfect. I love you all!

Love,
Elder Ballif

No comments:

Post a Comment